Sunday, April 6, 2014

Spring '14 Anime List and My Hot Picks

Chart created by Zana at neregate.com
Spring 2014 is upon us, anime fans.

I am presenting a fairly recent anime chart describing some of the new and returning shows this season. I'm expecting a lot of enjoyable shows to come from this batch, so without further adieu, allow me to point out some shows which I am especially looking forward to.

"Mushishi: Zoku-Shou" from Artland studios is a sequel to "Mushishi". The story focuses on a mysterious, traveling protagonist whose lone driving force seems to be the classification and capture of various spirit-creatures called mushi. The first season was highly enjoyable and I would recommend it (Rating: 4/5) to anyone looking for a mellow, slightly spooky anime with good visuals and sound.

"Soul Eater Not!" from venerable producers Bones and SquareEnix is a prequel to the quirky, fun anime "Soul Eater" (Rating: 4/5). For those who do not know, "Soul Eater" is an anime which centers around a boarding-school type setting, but the school in question is a school for training wunderkind bad-asses to hunt down wayward souls while using unwieldy weaponry. With fast-paced action, smooth animation, and financial backing, this should be one of the season showstoppers.

"Monogatari Series Second Season: Hanamonogatari" is a sequel to the comic 'ghost' story/love story "Monogatari" (Rating 4/5). Season one has some of the most beautiful animation sequences I can recall and also has some very emotional moments. I must caveat that this is by no means a fast-paced, action-driven anime. Rather, it is artsy and breathtaking.

Lastly, we come to an OVA which I am really looking forward to. I do not typically get majorly excited for OVAs, but this season we will see a "Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic" (Rating 5/5) spinoff from A-1 Pictures which will follow the adventures of young Uncle Sinbad. If you have been living under a rock for the last few years, "Magi" is a highly popular running anime that is high fantasy, magical, and political.

As the season progresses I will do my best to bring you reviews of individual episodes. I can not be expected to follow every upcoming show, but rest assured that those mentioned above will be.

Share this on Google or Facebook. Maybe click some link.

No comments:

Post a Comment